About Ardgillan Castle

Although referred to as a Castle, the residence at Ardgillan is a large country-styled house with castellated embellishments. Originally named “Prospect House”, the central section was built in 1738 by Robert Taylor, with the west and east wings added in the late 1800s. 

Initially the site was heavily wooded, the name Ardgillan being derived from the Irish “Ard Choill” meaning High Wood. It was cleared out by service soldiers and itinerant workers in return for one penny a day, sleeping accommodation and one meal. 

The house consists of two storeys over a basement which extends out under the lawns on the southern side of the building. When occupied, the ground and first floors were the living accommodations while the west and east wings were servants’ quarters and estate offices. The basement comprised of the service floor, the kitchen and stores. The Castle has now been restored and the ground floor rooms and kitchens are open to visitors for guided tours. 

 

A Brief History of Ardgillan Castle

A Brief History

Although referred to as a Castle, the residence at Ardgillan is a large country-styled house with castellated embellishments. Originally named “Prospect House”, the central section was built in 1738 by Robert Taylor, with the west and east wings added in the late 1800s. 

The Taylors

The Taylors

The history of the Taylor family at Ardgillan is an interesting one. The site at Ardgillan was first used as a home when Robert Taylor built  Prospect House’ on Mount Prospect in 1738.

Oliver Cromwell

Oliver Cromwell and the Down Survey of Ireland

Oliver Cromwell was an English military and politically leader and infamously, Lord Protector of the Commonwealth of England, Scotland and Ireland. Cromwell was born into the gentry of England in 1599.